E. Tyler was born in
July 13, 1838
, and came with his parents to the
in 1849. He was reared and educated in Pittsburg, Penn., and was in the employ
of a wholesale grocery in that city a number of years, and also in the employ of
the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne &, Chicago Railroad eight years. In 1861 he
enlisted in the Union Army and served first as second lieutenant but was
afterward promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel of the Seventy-fourth New
York Regiment. He came South in 1870 and was paymaster and bookkeeper with the
Roane Iron Company, for five years. In 1876 he engaged in the general insurance
agency business, which he has continued up to the present, representing a great
many well known fire insurance companies. Mr. Tyler is secretary and treasurer
of the Mutual Real Estate and Home Building Association of Chattanooga. He is
notary public and magistrate of the Fourteenth District, and president of the
Chattanooga Board of Underwriters.
December 25, 1865
, be married Mary F. Fleeson, of
, and to them were born six children, all living. Mr. Tyler is a Republican in
politics, is Past Grand of the local lodge of the
O. O. F., and Past Chancellor of Damon Lodge, No. 2, K. of P., also a
member of the military order of Loyal Legion (Cincinnati, Ohio, Commandery),
also of the G. A. R., Lookout Post, No. 2, of this city, and a member of the
Second Presbyterian Church. The above mentioned Mutual Real Estate and Home
Building Association, of which Mr. Tyler is secretary and treasurer was
incorporated in September, 1885, has a capital of $200,000, with R. M. Barton,
Jr., president, and F. E. Tyler, secretary and treasurer. The board of directors
are R. M. Barton, H. M. Ward, F. E. Tyler, R. Whigham, A. S. Ochs, W. Heron, L.
O. Read, H. C. Beck and C. E. Smith. This company own and buy large tracts of
property in and about the city which they lay off in lots and sell on eight
years’ terms, 10 per cent cash and $12 per $1,000 monthly rental. They also
build residences on lots on same terms, thus offering unequaled inducements to
laboring men. This is the only company of the kind in the Southern States.
"History of East Tennessee" 1887; Page 1003.