Dr. W. B. Wells, a successful surgeon and practitioner of medicine at Chattanooga, is the son of John and Mary (Stewart) Wells, both natives of South Carolina. They came to Georgia when young, and here passed the remainder of their days. The father followed the occupation of a farmer. Of their family of eight children-four sons and four daughters-our subject was the eldest. He was born June 8, 1838, in Habersham County, Ga., and received a good academic education. At the age of twenty-one he began the study of medicine, and took a course in the Atlanta Medical College. During the war he served in the medical department of Hardee's corps, Walker's division and Gist's brigade. After returning from the war he entered the Atlanta Medical College, and graduated from that institution in 1866. Dr. Wells has practiced his profession for twenty-six years, and twenty of those years were passed in practicing in one locality in Georgia. In 1885 he went to New York, and graduated in the Polyclinic, a school of clinical medicine for graduates from other schools, and afterward came to Chattanooga. He is a member of the Georgia Medical Association and also of the American Medical Association. Four children were the result of his marriage to Miss M. E. Pope in 1867. The Doctor is a Mason and he and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church as are also his children.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887