S. C. Cook
S. C. Cook, D. D. S., is a son of John and Anna (Collins) Cook, natives of Pennsylvania and North Carolina, respectively. In early life they came to Tennessee and here were married. By occupation the father was a mechanic and schoolteacher. He died in 1860, but the mother is still living. Of their family of eight children all were sons. Our subject was born in Monroe County, Tenn., May 2, 1849, and educated in the common schools and at Wesleyan University, Athens, Tenn. Having followed the mercantile business for some time he began the study of dentistry. He then practiced at Sweetwater, Tenn., until 1880, when he took a full course at the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, graduating in 1881, taking the prize of the college for operative dentistry. After graduating he was appointed clinical instructor in Vanderbilt University. In 1886 he came to Chattanooga and is having a good practice at that place. He is a member of both the State and East Tennessee Dental Associations, and has been vice-president of the first and president of the second. He is a Royal Arch Mason and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Goodspeed's "History of East Tennessee" 1887