Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church
Chapel Interdenominational Church
Patten Chapel Interdenominational Church was established in 1905. Many
pastors served the church part time through the years. However, the first full
time pastor to serve the church in 1936 was Assistant Pastor of Chattanooga
First Presbyterian Church, Reverend Willard Alexander Peek. There is not much
known about the early years of the church, because the original church was
almost destroyed by fire in the mid-1930s, and all the church documents were
destroyed in the fire. In 1939, the church congregation purchased the old Patten
Chapel Grammar School for $1000.00 for Sunday school classes. Later the church
remodeled the school building and this became the second home of the church. The
original church building was sold for $450.00; it was dismantled and hauled
away. On March 31, 1946, the congregation of the church after a long discussion
with the old Knoxville Presbytery formed the Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church.
Reverend Willard Peek officially became the first pastor of Lookout Valley
Presbyterian and served it for another twenty-eight years. Because of the rapid
growth the church experienced, in nine years ground breaking of a new church
building was to held on May 22, 1955. On March 25, 1956 the new church building
was completed and used for its first Sunday services.
1992, a major split in Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church occurred for
theological differences. As a result of this split, many members established,
Mountain View Presbyterian which is in the Presbyterian Church in America
denomination. Mountain View Presbyterian Church is located on Brown’s Ferry
Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church is still an active Presbyterian church.
However, it is now in the Southeast Presbytery that serves the Evangelical
Presbyterian Church and is still in its original location on Patten Chapel Road.
Chapel Interdenominational Church 1930s
Chapel Interdenominational Church Children in the 1920s
Home of Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church
first the Patten Chapel Grammar School closed in the 1930s
Home of Lookout Valley Presbyterian Church 1956-
by Alex McKeel