Descendants of Francis Marion Capps, Sr.
and Submitted by Rex Alexander
contact the submitter with questions or comments.
Data about Francis Capps SR acquired by submission of Floyd Owsley
Generation No. 1
1. FRANCIS MARION2 CAPPS, SR (HENRY1) was born January 19, 1815 in Mecklenburg, North Carolina, and died September 06, 1892 in Sale Creek, TN. He married (1) SARAH ANN WESTMORELAND Abt. 1838 in Jackson County, AL, daughter of EDWARD WESTMORELAND and REBECCA HACKNEY. She was born Abt. 1823 in Tennessee, and died Abt. 1864 in Hamilton County, TN. He married (2) ABIGAIL ALEXANDER Abt. 1870.
Children of FRANCIS CAPPS and SARAH WESTMORELAND are:
i. REBECCA ANN3 CAPPS, b. 1838, Alabama.
2. ii. ELLEN JANE CAPPS, b. September 1841, North Carolina; d. 1917, Sale Creek, Tennessee.
iii. WILLIAM FOSTER CAPPS, b. 1845, Hamilton County, TN.
Civil War-CSA: 1864, Died in hospital, Nashville, TN-age 19
iv. JAMES HENDERSON CAPPS, b. 1849, Hamilton County, TN.
Civil War-CSA: 1864, age 15 Died in, Nashviille, TN
v. MARTHA CATHERINE CAPPS, b. Abt. 1850, Hamilton County, TN.
vi. FRANCIS MARION CAPPS, JR, b. 1854, Hamilton County, TN.
vii. SARAH ELIZABETH CAPPS, b. 1859.
Generation No. 2
2. ELLEN JANE3 CAPPS (FRANCIS MARION2, HENRY1) was born September 1841 in North Carolina, and died 1917 in Sale Creek, Tennessee. She married JOHN WESLEY GENTRY in 1867, son of JOHN GENTRY and JANE FRANKLIN. He was born September 1838 in Georgia, and died February 14, 1919 in Sale Creek, TN. Both buried in Welsh Cemetery
JOHN WESLEY GENTRY:
John Wesley Gentry was born in Georgia 1838 to John Gentry and Jane Ann Gentry. At the age of 23 years of age (1861), the Civil War began and he enlisted in the 8th Georgia Infantry, Company A, CSA. The unit was based in Rome, Georgia. After the war, he met and married Ellen Jane Capps (1841-1917). They were wed March 1867. John W. died February 14, 1919 at the age of 81. He is buried near his wife and son, Charlie, in the Welsh Cemetery, Sale Creek, Tennessee. His grave is marked with a C.S.A. stone, denoting his Confederate service.
Children of ELLEN CAPPS and JOHN GENTRY are:
3. i. FLORENCE A.4 GENTRY, b. August 27, 1867, Georgia; d. January 28, 1958, Sale Creek, TN.
4. ii. WILLIAM NEWTON GENTRY, b. April 10, 1870, Meigs County, TN; d. November 27, 1949, Sale Creek, TN.
5. iii. CHARLES THOMAS GENTRY, b. January 27, 1872; d. December 09, 1937.
iv. JOHN M. GENTRY, b. January 06, 1875, Hamilton County, TN; d. September 30, 1904. Burial: Hughes Cemetery/ Bakewell, TN Patriot: Served in the Spanish-American War
v. JAMES FRANKLIN GENTRY, b. November 11, 1877, Hamilton County, TN.
vi. LAURA CANDACE GENTRY, b. January 06, 1880; d. December 11, 1898; m. ? STEWART. Burial: Hughes Cemetery/Bakewell, TN
For more information about these generations please go to Descendants of John Gentry