Elizabeth Gilliam Brown
MRS. J. G. BROWN, 87, BURIED TODAY
Native of Switzerland, but Lived Here for 75 Years, Was a Presbyterian
Mrs. Elizabeth Gilliam Brown, 87, a native of Switzerland but a resident of Chattanooga for 75 years, died yesterday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. T. Wilson, on Greenís Lake Road.
Mrs. Brown left Switzerland with her parents as a girl of 10, and the family lived two years in Ohio before coming to Chattanooga. She had often recalled that when she came to the city there were only two brick buildings standing here.
As a child she survived the dread yellow fever epidemic here, and she was married at 16 to John G. Brown, a young architect. The couple moved into a home on what is now Idlewild Drive, and Mrs. Brown lived there for 60 years.
She was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
She is survived by a son, Walter R. Brown, Chattanooga; daughter Mrs. W. T. Wilson, Chattanooga; stepdaughter, Mrs. Mary Lerch, Chattanooga; stepson, Edwin Brown, Chattanooga; two sisters, Mrs Minnie Gilliam and Mrs. Mattie Tueler, both of Chattanooga; brother, Fred Gilliam, Chattanooga; seven grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren, and a number of stepgrandchildren.
Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. today in the National Funeral Home, the Revs. T. Perry Brannon and Harry Mitcham officiating.
Burial will be in Donaldson Cemetery on Gleason Drive. Pallbearers will be Fred Brown, Oscar Brown, Robert Brown, Leighton Brown, Joe Brown, Charles Lerch, Thomas Lerch and Charles C. Johnson Jr.
The Chattanooga Daily Times; November 13, 1948
Submitted by Bill Brown