Clarence Livingston

Funeral of Clarence Livingston

The funeral of Clarence Livingston was held yesterday afternoon at 3 o’clock at the home of his father-in-law in St.. Elmo. The services were conducted by the Rev. T. S. McCallie and H. E. Partridge. Commissioner T. C. Betterton paid a most splendid tribute to he dead office in a short speech. The ceremony was short but impressive. The funeral, headed by the mounted squad, fellow patrolmen of Livingston, proceeded to Forest Hills cemetery, where the body was interred. There were many who went to the cemetery and bedecked the grave with beautiful floral designs.

Chattanooga Times, 3 Sep 1912




Patrolman Livingston Shot by Burglar.

Caught Them in Act of Burglarizing Dillard’s Saloon on Main Street.



On of the Most Popular Men in the Entire Department ­— Assailants Escape, but Score of Determined Men Seek to Effect Their Capture — Livingson [sic] Has Wife and Two Children.

Livingstone [sic] died at Erlanger hospital at 2:35 o’clock this morning while on the operating table.


Clarence Livingston, a member of the mounted squad of the local police force, was shot and fatally wounded at 1:15 this morning by two unknown negro burglars. The shooting occurred in the rear of Dillard’s saloon, 717 East Main street.

Livingston was struck in the stomach by the only bullet fired. He was rushed to Erlanger hospital in Wann’s ambulance at an early hour this morning and was on the operating table, although there was no hope held out for his recovery.

Both of the negroes escaped, and despite the fact that all available members of the police force and scores of deputy sheriffs were rushed to the scene from both police and jail, no trace of them had been found. There is but one clue to their identity. One of them is believed to have been working on the Mission ridge tunnel work.

When shot Livingston was standing with his flash light in his left hand talking to one of the burglars. He had seen their light in the saloon and had gone around through the alley to investigate. One of the men was caught in the building, and was at once arrested by Livingston. While the two were in conversation Charles McWhorter, a negro barber, who had noticed the officer go behind the house, came up. McWhorter was within a few feet of Livingston when the shot was fired that will probably end his career.

The man who did the shooting was hid beneath the house. After his companion had been arrested, the presence of a second man became known in some way, and Livingston called on him to come from under the house. One of the negroes was begging that they be turned loose, appealing to the officer for mercy on the grounds that he was a poor, hardworking man and that he had been forced to steal because of his inability to meet the daily expense of life.

The patrolman said that he had found them in the act of burglarizing the property of another, and that he had to arrest them. He was visibly affected by the appeal, however, according to the statements of McWhorter, and expressed sympathy for the negro.

It was just as he uttered this sentence that the hidden burglar, taking advantage of the fearless position of the officer, fired. The bullet struck the flashlight in the left hand of the patrolman, glanced only a fraction of an inch, and plowed its way into his stomach. He sank to the ground without a word, but attempted to pull his pistol after he sank. After one or two feeble attempts, which sapped the remaining strength, he lay still.

McWhorter immediately game an alarm but the tow assailants escaped before they could be caught. Several persons saw them run from around the building, go west on Main street for a few feet, and then turn south on the tracks of the Belt railway.

Within a few minutes news of the brutal shooting had reached police headquarters and the wagon with a number of patrolmen was rushed to the scene. The unconscious man was sent to Erlanger hospital. When picked up he was barely breathing and it was evident even to those who knew nothing of medical science that he had but a few minutes to live.

Capt. Will Hackett was in charge of the squad that went to work on the case. He was joined by Capt. Smith, of the plainclothes force and it was only a short time until the street was filled with uniformed and plainclothes men and deputy sheriffs, drawn not only by their sense of duty and their oath of office, but by a love for their dying comrade and a fierce desire to see his assailants caught and made to pay the penalty of their crime.

Clarence Livingston was one of the most popular men on the local police force and one of the most efficient. His loyalty and bravery had never been questioned during his four years of service, and no member of either the uniformed or plainclothes force stood higher in the estimation of his superiors than Livingston. He has participated in some of the most important arrests made in recent years, and his efficiency and courage have been tested repeatedly.

He was married and lived at 507 St. Elmo avenue, where news of the shooting was told to a forlorn and sorrowful wife and two small children last night.

Chattanooga Times, 1 Sep 1912

Submitted by Claudia O'Leary