Over the Remains of the Late W. A. Martin
funeral services over the remains of the late W. A. Martin were held yesterday
at the family residence on McCallie street, at 2:30 o'clock, the Rev. J. W.
Bachman officiating, assisted by Revs. G. C. Rankin and J. T. Christian.
the appointed hour the house, yard and sidewalk in front of the residence were
crowded with the friends and acquaintances of the deceased, and when the tones
of the organ sounded out the solemn prelude to a favorite hymn of the deceased
and the First Presbyterian church choir took up the words and music, every head
in the vast audience was bred and many an eye was wet in token of the esteem in
which the deceased was held.
J. W. Bachman gave a most impressive and touching discourse as to the condition
of those who die in the faith, and dwelt on the virtues and many manly and
admirable qualities of the deceased. He spoke in his usual tender and impressive
way, and frequently words of genuine pathos and emotion escaped him as he spoke
of the great interest the dead man had evinced in his spiritual condition while
in the midst of life.
of the N. B. Forrest Camp, Confederate Veterans, were present in a body and wore
the uniform at the present worn by the association - black hats with gold bands
with the initials "C. V." fastened on the upturned brims.
the conclusion of the services the remains were taken to Forest Hill cemetery,
attended by the entire camp and a long line of carriages occupied by friends and
acquaintances of the deceased, where they were finally interred with the
religious ceremonies of the camp.
numbers attended the burial taking the dummy line at the King street station.
was laid to his last resting place another of Chattanooga's best and most highly
esteemed older citizens.
Chattanooga Times May 2, 1887
by Gary P. Martin