Shirley Lavon Ramsey

LOCAL GIRL, 11, ELECTROCUTED


      A low-hanging light socket and a basement shower proved a fatal combination Wednesday afternoon to Shirley Lavon Ramsey, 11, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Raymond Ramsey, East Chattanooga, Route 2, who was electrocuted while playing under the shower with a 7 year old girl friend.
      Seeking relief from soaring temperatures, the girls, dressed in bathing suits, were playing under the basement shower.  Shirley, it was reported, slipped and, for support, grabbed the empty light socket.  She fell to the floor.
      Told by the other child that "Shirley won't talk to me," Mrs. Ramsey went to the basement and found her daughter lying on the floor.  She was pronounced dead upon arrival at P & S Hospital.
      Surviving are the parents; a brother, James David Ramsey, and grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Kyle.  Funeral services will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at East Chattanooga Church of God, the Reverend E. M. Ellis and H. L. Ritchie officiating.  Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery.  The body is at the residence.
      Shirley graduated last month from Harrison Grammar School and was voted the best all-around pupil.

Submitted by Susan Kendall
SusieQ1160@aol.com