Tallant School - 1916
Teacher: Mammie Tallant
(Sister to Ethel Miller)
Photo furnished courtesy of R. Jack Stone
LEFT TO RIGHT
First row: seated on ground: 1st Ed Stone, 2nd Theodore Lewis, 5th Carl Blair, 6th Carl Tallant.
standing on ground: 1st Beatrice Lewis, 2nd Lillie Lewis, 3rd Jo Tallant.
Second row: 2nd Burl Stone, 4th Floyd Blair, 5th John Earl Blair, 6th Fred Lewis, 9th Robert
(Bob) Green, 10th John Lewis.
Third row: 10th Annie Lewis.
Fourth row: 2nd (Female) Clonts, 3rd Dellia Alton, 4th (Female) Clouts, 5th (Female) Clonts, 6th Gladys
Howard, 7th Lula Lewis.
Fifth row: 1st Rettig Stone, 2nd Glenn Stone, 3rd Bill Howard, 6th Cecil Chestnut, 7th Robert Blair
Pupil identification supplied by Lillie Rose Lewis-North in January 2002. Carl Blair holds sign (1916) that is legible in original photograph.
The Old Tallant School and Church building clung to the southern foot of Grindstone Mountain in present day Collegedale. Today the site is obscure, but in those days Tallant Road extended up to the school and branched with the right fork connecting with McDonald Road and the left branch onto the present Edgemon Road toward Ooltewah before entering Lee Highway.
One of the early teachers was Rev. L.H. Sylar, the grandfather of Hartley Sylar of Ooltewah. Other known teachers were Mammie Tallent, and her sister Ethel Miller. Ethel taught there until 1926 when the school was closed and all of the pupils transferred to the Ooltewah Elementary School, which met in the old James County Courthouse, and later moved to the building that stood next to the new Ooltewah High School Building.
Many of the leaders of the Ooltewah-Collegedale communities were educated at that school. It was also a Baptist Church during most of the early days of the school’s existence and continued on for some 25 years after the school was closed due to consolidation.
Submitted by John Henson