1902 - 1903
Teacher: Rev. L. H. Sylar
Photo furnished courtesy of R. Jack Stone
Left to Right
Front Row (Seated): 6th Roger W. Stone
Third Row: 4th Bell Stone (Brewer)
Back Row: 1st Arthur L Tallant
The Old Tallant School and Church building clung to the southern foot of Grindstone Mountain in present day Collegedale. Today the site is obscure, but in those days Tallant Road extended up to the school and branched with the right fork connecting with McDonald Road and the left branch onto the present Edgemon Road toward Ooltewah before entering Lee Highway.
One of the early teachers was Rev. L. H. Sylar, the grandfather of Hartley Sylar of Ooltewah. Other known teachers were Mammie Tallent, and her sister Ethel Miller. Ethel taught there until 1926 when the school was closed and all of the pupils transferred to the Ooltewah Elementary School, which met in the old James County Courthouse, and later moved to the building that stood next to the new Ooltewah High School Building.
Many of the leaders of the Ooltewah-Collegedale communities were educated at that school. It was also a Baptist Church during most of the early days of the school’s existence and continued on for some 25 years after the school was closed due to consolidation.
Submitted by John Henson