Tyner

    Tyner, at first called Tynerville, is located ten miles from Chattanooga, on the East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia Railway. It was founded by Capt. Tyner, and received his name in 1858. The first store, established by Lafayette Varnell, was continued until the war, after which N. L. Rawlings started a store and H. J. Springfield & Bro. ran a grocery and saloon. There is a Baptist Church and a Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a Masonic lodge, and Pleasant Grove Academy located at House's camp-ground, named after G. W. House. Foster Carper in early days ran a tannery here, then the largest in the country. At the present time Tyner contains about one hundred inhabitants. The post office was established as Tynerville, with Washington Evans postmaster, February 1, 1860, the name being changed to Tyner September 13, that year. Robert L. Gamble was appointed postmaster April 22, 1865; James Allen, June 26, 1867; James Milliken, January 21, 1868; John T. Rawlings, July 23, 1868; John O. Gamble, December 15, 1870; Robert L. Gamble, June 13, 1872; Henry J. Springfield, November 6, 1873; Henry B. Springfield, August 26, 1878; Thomas B. Varnell, November 4, 1880; Allen Thornbrough, March 27, 1884, and Thomas B. Varnell, December 17, 1885.
Goodspeed's "History of Tennessee" 1887

The area of Tyner is now located within the Chattanooga city limits.