Ancestry of James Murphy DUNN Jr.

Fifth Generation

16. James C. DUNN "Jim" was born 1817 in North Carolina. He married Martha ARNOLD. [Parents]

17. Martha ARNOLD was born 1823 in Tennessee.


18. W. H. THOMAS was born 1844 in Arkansas. He married Catherine.

19. Catherine was born 1842 in Tennessee.


20. William Raleigh\Riley BROWN was born Oct 26 1835 in Hamilton County, TN.. He died Jun 7 1903 in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, Catoosa Co.. William married Marianna Isabella ROGERS on Jan 11 1854 in Red Bank, Hamilton Co, TN.

William served in the military Union Army's Sixth Mounted Infantry in Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., TN. [Parents]

21. Marianna Isabella ROGERS was born 1 about 1837. She died Apr 1917 in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, Catoosa Co.. [Parents]


22. George Washington KELLEY "Wash" was born Jul 9 1838 in Mcminn Co., TN. He died Jul 11 1919 in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, Catoosa Co. and was buried in Concord Cemetery in Hamilton Co., Tennessee. Wash married Amanda L. MCDONALD. [Parents]

first child of Elisha and Sarah Kelley, was born in Bradley County, Tenn. He died July 11, 1919 and is buried in the Concord Baptist Church Cemetery, Hamilton County, Chattanooga, Tn.

On Aug. 11, 1864, in Catoosa County, Ga., Wash Kelley married Amanda L. E. McDonald, who was born Feb. 26, 1844 in Jefferson County, Tn., daughter of John McDonald (born 1807 in Jefferson County, Tn. died 1864 in Catoosa County, Ga.) and Priscilla Bell McDonald (born 1812 Jefferson County, Tn., died 188__ Catoosa County, Ga.). Amanda's parents had moved to Chickamauga, Ga. in 1846 from Jefferson County, Tn. 17 years before the Civil War. Wash's parents moved to Catoosa County, Ga. from Bradley County, Tn. 1850 or 1851. Amanda died March 21, 1922 and is buried beside her husband in Concord Baptist Church Cemetery, Hamilton County, Chattanooga, Tn.

George Washington Kelley enlisted in the Confederate Army on July 8, 1861. On the same date William Calvin McDonald, a neighbor and Wash's future brother-in-law who lived one quarter mile north on LaFayette Rd. also enlisted. Both men were assigned to the same unit 1st Co. H 26th Reg't. Tennessee Voluntary Infantry Army of Tennessee, Confederate States of America. Both men fought at the battle at Fort Donelson, Tenn., Wash Kelley receiving an arm wound on Feb. 15, 1862 and William McDonald being captured on Feb. 16, 1862 and exchanged at
Aikens Landing, Va. on Nov. 10, 1862. Wash Kelley was transferred to the 2nd Co. I, 1st Confederate Regiment, Infantry on Nov. 8, 1862; and to 12th Regiment Georgia Cavalry (Bradshaw's) in 1862. He was returned to 2nd Co. I, 1st Confederate Regiment Dec. 15, 1862 and again transferred to Co. H, 3rd Regiment Confederate Cavalry (Howard's) in 1863. At about this time the Union forces were closing in on Chattanooga and G. W. Kelley's home in North Georgia, so he, like so many others from the area, deserted to go home to be with his family as the war rolled closer to the hills and valleys of North Georgia. Wash turned himself in to the Union forces at Stevenson, Ala. on Aug. 19, 1863 just one month before the holocaust called Chickamauga hit his home and family. On Sept. 12, 1863 he took the oath of allegiance to the U. S. Government at Louisville, Ky. and was released to remain north of the Ohio River during the war.

After the Civil War Wash Kelley returned home and started the tremendous task of building a life for himself. He married his sweetheart Amanda McDonald, and, receiving 200 acres of land from his father-in-law, started to farm.

In 1876 Wash Kelley served jury duty for the Superior Court of Catoosa County, Ga. at $2.00 per diem. (From Catoosa Court records).

History of George Washington Kelley
Given by his son Alexander Clark Kelley
Circa 1961

George Washington Kelley and Amanda L. McDonald were married in 1864. Her father was John McDonald, and his wife, Priscilla Belle McDonald. George W. Kelley and some men hewed logs and built a two room house. There they lived until the Government took their land for the Park. From this union 8 girls and 3 boys lived to be grown. 3 children died in babyhood.

George Washington was a farmer, and after the battle the Yankees burned and killed all their stock. Nothing left for them to live on. The Government sent a supply wagon once a month to Ringgold, Ga. to get food for them until  they could make a crop. His father-in-law gave them a heifer calf, they would plow this calf for awhile and let it eat grass. They howed and worked until this calf ate and rested. They went on working making by hand all the clothes they wore. Raising their cotton, sheep, carding and spinning and weaving. Did not have a store bought suit until he was 14 years old (Clark). The main crop was strawberries in the Spring of the year. The neighbors picked berries at .020 per qt. Also raised watermelons. They were shipped to Cincinnati, Ohio. He planted fruit trees, raised all their hogs, killed and cured their meat, canned all their fruit and berries; made all their jellies and preserves. Cut  wood for heating and cooking. Laura Kelley (Brown) was their first child.

A log school house stood at the foot of Snodgrass Hill. When their children were school age this is-where they  went. A spring was close by that furnished water for the school, and the big boys cut and brought in the wood for the stove when the weather was cool. The older children took care of the younger ones. They carried their lunch in a
basket. School was a 3 month school, as the big boys had to help in the field. The teachers were: Mr. Tappen and Miss Octave Connely, who lived at Rock Spring, Ga. It was too far for her to go back and forth. She stayed at the home of George Washington Kelley. Alexander Clark was their first boy. He did not want to go to school. He would come back home and his mother would switch him back to school each morning for three months. After he got big enough to plow (10 years of age) he went to the field with his father and plowed round, keeping up with
his father. He was taught how to let the mule pull the plow at the end of the row. Alexander Clark Kelley was a guide for the Park when the Yankees came down to look over the battle field. They would ask him to go with them, being a boy he knew where every skull and bones were. Sometimes they would give him $1.00 and sometimes more and times nothing at all. He used to pick up the minnie balls and throw them at the birds.

The sheep were sheared in the Spring, taken the wool, and cotton to Ringgold, Ga. to be made into bats. The girls spun these bats into thread to be made into cloth, blankets and coverlets, which were woven in patterns and  different colors. The dye was home made. Bark of a walnut made a brown and different bark made a different color. Very colorful.

"As the family grew Mr. Kelley bought 100 acres of land that made him have a 300 acre farm. The Government did not want this 100 acre tract so he sold it to Mr. Sam Divine. Mrs. (Granny) Mullis was with Mrs. Kelley at the birth of her children, excepting the last three. Dr. Broyles was her doctor. They were Baptist and went to church at Peavine and Cloud Springs. Alexander Clark Kelley can remember when tax time came a man from Ringgold, Ga. came to collect taxes. He would get a table from their kitchen and put it under the trees in their yard. Was a day set aside to come and pay their tax. The Kelley Field. History of the Kelley Family. The Snodgrass Hill. The Snodgrass Hill, the scene of the last desperate stand of the Federal Army, under General Thomas, on Sunday afternoon Sept. 20, 1864, took its name from the Snodgrass family who owned the property and lived there at the time, and whose house marked with an iron plate still stands. George Washington Snodgrass, a native of Virginia, was head of the family. He was 60 years old at the time of the battle, and was of course too old for military duty. He was living with his third wife. He had two grown sons, one of whom, Charlie Snodgrass, was a Confederate soldier and was in the battle. The other son, John, was a cripple and was at home. The other children at home were Mary 16. Virginia 12. Georgia Ann 10. William R. 8. Julia Kittie 6. and Mary Ellen 4. The only one of these living now is Julia Kittie, who married D. Green Reed in 1879 and now lives with her husband and family near Parker's gap in Hamilton County, Tenn. Mrs. Reed is an active energetic and intelligent lady. She was only 6 years old at the time of the battle but her recollections are most clear and vivid. When asked recently to tell something of the battle, she graciously did so and talked most interestingly of her experience during the battle and afterwards. The first Federal soldier seen by her and her family were forgers, who first laid tribute upon their sweet potatoes and later on anything else they could find, including eatables and live stock. She remembers the roar of the battle on Friday when Wilder at Alexander's bridge and Mity at Reed's Bridge, were disputing the crossing of the Confederates. Her father refused at that time to leave the house, and the next morning they heard the increasing thunder of the conflict which began first at Jay's Mill and then spread southward toward Lee and Gordon's Hill, until the whole five miles front cross rose the infernal din of battle. About 3 o'clock on Sunday afternoon the 19th bullets began falling around their house, and going through the roof and their father gave word to retreat. They went Northwest from their house up a ravine, and camped in the woods. As the battle surged nearer, the missiles began to fall about them, compelling them to retreat further into the wood. Here they made camp and remained for eight days and nights. The families represented at this camp were: Snodgrass, Kelleys, McDonalds, Brocks and Mullis. John McDonald was taken prisoner, being an old man was required to serve as a guide. Died from exposure. He was Amanda McDonald's father; served in General Thomas. On Sept. 19, 1863 John McDonald was picked up by General Wilder and sent off to General Rosecrane, being an old man 60 years of age. He soon died of exposure in 1864. At the opening of the battle a two room house stood on this site in which lived John McDonald and his family. John McDonald and his wife Priscilla Belle McDonald were natives of Jefferson County, Tenn. They lived at this place 17 years before the battle. The children living at the time were William C., Amanda L., and Charles. All are now dead.

The Kelley house and field are famous spots on the battlefield. The first day of fighting on the left was some  distance east of the field. During that night General Thomas in command here fell back to a line just inside the edge of the wood on the east side of the field and during the night substantia-I breastworks logs, rails, etc. were
thrown up. During the second day this line was the scene of some of the most terrific fighting of modern times.

(From Alexander Clark Kelley's story which was loaned to us by Louise Davis Brock 1980).

23. Amanda L. MCDONALD was born Feb 26 1844. She died Mar 21 1922 in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, Catoosa Co. and was buried in Concord Cemetery in Hamilton Co., Tennessee. [Parents]


28. Rev. Thomas Reece HARDIN 1 was born Dec 8 1852. He died Feb 11 1925 and was buried in Peavine Church Cemetery, Walker Co. GA.. Thomas married Sarah Ann EDWARDS about 1873 in Catoosa County, Ga.

29. Sarah Ann EDWARDS was born Sep 7 1849. She died Jan 11 1923 and was buried 1 in Peavine Church Cemetery, Walker Co. GA.. [Parents]


30. William G. BRAND was born Nov 1854 in GA. He died Jan 1930 in Howe, Leflore Co., OK. William married Mary Jane BUNCH on Dec 31 1876. [Parents]

The Scott County Arkansas census shows that William G. Brand and Mary H. Townley where only married three years, so it is beleived that she was his third wife.

31. Mary Jane BUNCH was born about 1854.


Home First Previous Next Last

Surname List | Name Index